Homeowner grant

Applications for the 2021 home owner grant will be processed when property tax notices are issued in May 2021. If you apply early, your application will be held until then.

The home owner grant reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence.

The grant is available to homeowners who pay property taxes to a municipality, or to the province if they live in a rural area. If you pay your property taxes to a First Nation, contact the First Nation directly.

About the home owner grant

In 2021, the home owner grant application process has changed, but program details and eligibility requirements have not changed.

Most property owners are eligible for the regular grant (also called the basic grant).

On top of the regular grant, you may qualify for an additional grant if you are:

A senior

A veteran

A person with a disability

Living with a spouse or relative with a disability

A spouse or relative of a deceased owner

Regular grant

The regular grant amount is $570 in the Capital Regional District, the Metro Vancouver Regional District and the Fraser Valley Regional District. For all other areas of the province the amount is $770.

If your property is assessed at $1,625,000 or less and you meet certain requirements, you will receive the full regular grant amount. Properties assessed over that amount may receive a partial grant (learn about the grant threshold).

Before claiming the home owner grant, you must pay at least $350 in property taxes to help fund services such as road maintenance and police protection. This amount may be less if you qualify for the home owner grant as a senior, veteran or person with a disability.

Do I qualify?

To qualify for the grant:

You must

Apply for the home owner grant

You must apply for the home owner grant each year to receive it. Only one grant can be claimed for a property each year.

Find out when and how to apply for the home owner grant. You may also be able to apply for a retroactive grant if you qualified last year but didn't apply.

Apply for the multiple home owner grant

If you’re the registered owner of a land co-operative or multi-dwelling leased parcel, you can work together with eligible occupants living in your building or on your property to apply for the multiple home owner grant.

Notice of disentitlement

If you have received a Notice of Disentitlement, find out how to pay your outstanding balance.


Grant applications are audited for up to 7 years to make sure taxpayers are eligible for the grants they receive.

Get help

Contact us if you have any questions about the home owner grant.

Toll Free: 1-888-355-2700

Office: 250-387-0555

Mailing: PO Box 9446 Stn Prov Govt Victoria BC V8W 9R7

Are you looking to buy or sell property? If you’d like, we can have a real estate expert show you the most efficient process that saves you thousands of dollars, a lot of time, with little or no inconvenience to you. Contact us today!


Source:   Government of B.C.